Sunday, October 7, 2007

My baby is 3!

I can't believe how the time has flown, Rourke, my baby is 3 today! It feels like just yesterday that he was born and today he's this cute little funny guy who has loads of energy, is always up for any challenge and can pull the funniest faces.



We didn't do much for his birthday today, my mom slept over last night so I could go out for dinner with some friends and then go and watch the rugby. Who would ever have thought that France would have it in them to beat the All Blacks? Okay, I'm regressing, so to get back to today, after opening birthday presents in my bed we walked down to the local market to get a couple of things for Rourke's birthday cake which he's taking to school tomorrow. We then took a bus and met up with my brother and his family at a Quick which is Belgium's version of MacDonald's only it tastes even more like cardboard. The only reason we went there is because they have one of those indoor play areas and those are few and far between here.
The kids spent the next couple of hours running and climbing and screeching their heads of (funny how they all feel the need to screech at the top of their voices when they are having fun). Back at home Tiger had a much needed nap while Riley helped bake his cake and make up the sweet packets for the kids in his class. Then she set up "house" on the patio and invited us for tea. ( she loves playing house and inviting people over for tea and always wants some real cake or treats for them to eat.) I had some cake mix left so I filled a muffin tray and baked a couple of mini cakes. These were done just in time so we had a little party for Tiger in Riley's "house".

Well, that was our day in a nut shell, apart from the usual cleaning and washing that has to happen on a Sunday. Now I still have to do the dishes and ice the birthday cake so I better get to it.

But before I do, let me get serious for a moment, during the last couple weeks Brad and I've been talking about having another baby. Now that the surrogacy plan has gone down the tube we thought that we might want to have another baby of our own. I've always said that I didn't just want 2 kids. I've always worried that I might regret not having more but after thinking about it a lot we've decided not to go down that road again. There are a lot of reasons for our decision. But, at the heart of it lies the fact that we have two fantastic healthy and normal kids. We couldn't ask for better. To be honest I'm also not sure that I could really go through it all again, the sleepless nights the teething, diaper rash, etc. This is not to say that I don't get those broody pangs when I see a cute little baby, but, I think this is a good decision for us.

So, to all of you who are in the middle of diaper duty or teething or the terrible two's "good luck I'm thinking of you" To Char, as you know I'm truly sorry about how things have worked out I would have gone through it all for you again.

No comments: