Sunday, January 11, 2009

Polar Bears and snowmen



Mommy come look, quickly! There are polar bears outside!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start at the beginning.

So, as I mentioned Monday was B day - as in Back to school and Back to work after 2 weeks of holidays. I got up early on Monday to take the dog out for her business, a job a dislike under normal surcomsance, never mind in the cold and dark. The moment I opended the door I knew this was not going to be a normal Monday morning. The whole entire world was covered in a thick white blanket of snow. Needless to day, Lulu did not like the idea of going out in the snow to do her business, in fact she refused and the moment she was taken back inside rewarded me by doing it in the kitchen.

Telling the kids that there was snow outside helped with getting them up. And we manged to be ready on time. Lulu had to go into town with Brad as we could not leave her home alone all day, as much for her sanity and ours. So there we were all 4 bundeled into the van with an extra blanket for the kids to sit under and Lulu, only we didn't move. Brad tried for quite some time, to drive out but we ended up side ways in the drive way. We couldn't revers out or drive out forward. We would just move about a meter in either direction and then just spin the tires (and we have snow tires on the van).

So afer trying to get out for about 20 min we called it a day and moved back inside. I called my boss who guess why I was calling the moment I mentiond having a slight problem and called my dad to call the kids school.

We spent the day sitting infront of the fire drinking hot chocolate, watching dvd's. I took the kids out to build a snowman but Rourke was not too interested saying that it was too cold outside. Riley didn't much care for my snowman and would not even let me take a photo of her next to it.

O and the polar bears, yeah Rourke spotted these fluffy white things walking around in the field next to the house and decided that they were polar bears and no matter much many times his sister screamed at him that they were just sheep he did not want to believe her.

It's been a whole week now since it snowed and everything is sill covered in a think white blanket. This has been the coldest winter in something like 20 years in Belgium with some places reaching -20°C . Even this morning when I took Lulu out again it was -11°C. But they promise that it would start warming up by the end of the week, by then we should reach +1°C

No comments: