Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Helping Out


I'm not about to pretend that I harbour feelings of love and adoration for my husband at all the times. In fact, there are times when I wish I could fit my hands around his neck and just squeeze. Don't get me wrong, I love the man but boy or boy there sure are times when he really pushes that love to the limit.

Now, this is not going to be a blog about all the things about my dear husband which annoy the life out of me or all the things I love about him, maybe on another occasion, it's actually about single parents.

I honestly don't know how single parents cope. Really, the idea of doing this, working full time, trying to run a house and trying to raise 2 normal, balanced and happy kids on my own totally freaks me out!!

It I were a single mom, my kids would be at school from 8 o clock in the morning till 18:30 at night, 5 days a week. They would live in an apartment (much smaller than the one we now live in). They would see me when I was tired and cranky after a long day at the office and they were tired and cranky after a long day at school. We would have a real problem getting stuff for school from the shops if the teacher doesn't send a note at least a week in advance. We would even have very little time to do fun things.

I would more than likely resent the fact that I never had any free time, and then take it out on them even if it's not their fault. There would be no one to help me when they are sick or when I'm too sick to look after them. All of which does not result in happy, balanced, normal kids, in my opinion. In other words, for those out there who are doing it and making a success of it all I can say is:

HATS OFF TO YOU!
I really don't know how you do it.

So, Brad and I may have a bit of a unconventional marriage, but it works for us. We are raising these kids together(and they seem pretty normal, balanced and happy to me), helping each other, each doing his bit, while at the same time giving the other person the time to go out every so often and decompress.

Man, I am so glad that I don't have to do this on my own. Now I just need to remember that the next time I feel like strangling my husband.

No comments: