Monday, October 13, 2008

About a mommy

I found this "questionnaire" on one of the blogs I read http://metime.typepad.com/me_time/ and decided that since she put out a general tag I'll consider myself tagged, so here it is. I hope you find it informing/interesting:

Here's the low-down on me as a mommy:
1. How long have you been a Mom?
I can’t believe how long it’s been: 6 years and 1 month.
2. How many children call you Mommy?
Two!
3. Girl? Boy? or both?: Girl then a boy
4. Did you know what you were having?
Yes, found out as soon as it was possible for me, I wanted to be able to pick a name and get all the stuff.
5. How old were you when you became a Mom? 26 and 28.
6. How long were you in labor? The first time: 1 week (very little pain but steady contractions every 10 min and then 4 days of intense pain and contractions between 2 min apart and 40 seconds apart and it ended in a natural birth after being induced and my water broken to try and speed things up. The second: 9 hours. I was induced with Tiger at 38 weeks cause the Dr didn't want him to get any bigger. Only I didn't dilate past 5 cm and he went into distress and they could no longer pick up on his heart beat so I was rushed in for an emergency c-section. The Dr even nicked him on his head in her rush to get him out.

7. What’s your favorite thing about being a Mom? There are so many things, but my favourite would have to be when they crawl up onto my lap for a hug and a snuggle and the way they smell.
8. What’s your least favorite thing? Again, so many things. Least fave, I suppose, is them not listing, it drives me crazy!

9. Do you want more kids? No - we've talked about it a lot and when I wanted more Brad didn't and when Brad wanted, I didn't but I would say we've decided not to have more. We have 1 of each and they are potty trained and all the other things so having to do it all from scratch again just seem to daunting.
10.Do you plan on having more soon? No - if it happens it will not be planned
11. How many times have you been pee’d on? This is something I didn't keep track of, Tiger did it a couple of times but Riley poohed on Brad one night just as he was on his way to work and he had to change his shirt, pants and shoes - as you can imagine he was not .
12. Barfed on? A couple of times and so has my cousin. Riley was sick once and then got sick all over me but she wouldn't let me put her down so I could get cleaned up (she was very little and just putting her down would just have made the situation worse). I called my cousin to come round and try to help me by taking Riley while I got cleaned up, only Riley got sick all over my cousin as well.

13. Is your child named after anyone? Yes, both of them. Riley's middle name is Catherine after my gran, and later we learned that Brad's great grand ma's maiden name was O'Reilly so she's got 2 family names. Because Brad and all 3 his brothers are names after their dad we decided to continue the tradition but I drew the line at naming the poor kids after his grandfather, his father and then adding his own name to Tiger is called Rourke (I'm a fan of Mickey Rourke) Douglas (after Brad's dad as well as being 1 of Brad's middle names) a James after my dad (James being the English version of Jacques)
14. How did you come up with their name? Even though Riley is used as a boy's name we saw a TV program with the Olsen twins and one was called Riley - we liked it. I wanted to continue using the Irish name theme with Rourke and also like Mickey Rourke which is how we came up with Rourke's 1st name.
15. When your child gets in trouble, who is the bad guy?
O I don't come anywhere near Brad apparently I'm a really push over although I really don't think I'm all that bad. I'd say we sort of balance each other out, he takes some things more seriously than me and visa versa.
16. What is the longest you have been away from your children?
2 weeks. I went to the Dominican Republic on holiday with a girl friend in March. The kids stayed home with Brad and my mom helped out. They loved it, wasn't very impressed with me when I came back. It seems my kids are quite independent…
17. Bedtime routine? We brush teeth, have a drink of water and then read a story or two, it all depends on how tired they are and what the time is. They have a night light and a cd player for music. Most of the time they stay up reading or coloring in bed till the fall asleep. Once again this depends on how tired they are. They also, often sleep in 1 bed.

18. Are your toes painted? Not at the moment but they are most of the time.
19. Last movie you saw in the theater?:
Death Race” a girl friend and I went and watched it purely for Jason Statham and he did not disappoint.
20. One thing you will not give up just because you’re a mom? Having a social life and going out for a good meal and dinner with friends. My mom has the kids every Saturday night giving me 1 night off a week and then Brad also watches the kids about twice a month so I can go out with a friend or two.

21. One thing you did give up now that you’re a mom: One thing? I'll mention 2 big things: Not having to cook dinner when I'm not hungry and a tidy house.
22. Best Mom perk: Watching and listening to them playing when they don't know they are being watched/listened to.

23. Snack, do you sneak bites from your child? Only when they’re not looking else all hell will break loose.
24. When the kid is napping, you are: At work or doing
laundry, surfing the net, reading a book watching TV often all of the above simultaneously.
25. Where is your child(ren) now?
In bed, asleep.
26. Favorite place to buy maternity clothes? H&M in Belgium and Woolworths in South Africa.
27. If I could do it over…
I’d have had the kids later in my life. I love them but only discovered life and what all I could do after having them. Having said that, I'll still be young enough to enjoy life by the time they leave home .
28. Did it turn out the way you expected? Not at all but that's good life should be full of surprises.


I tag anyone who wants to participate. Please link back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading all your thingies! Now I just miss you more... you should be HERE so we can FINALLY be mom's TOGETHER!!!!!