Friday, February 20, 2009

So much for the golden rule

Probably from the day after she was born Brad has been telling Riley that she will be allowed to date when she's 35 or he's dead, whichever comes first (and he has no plans to die early).

When she was 3 there was a little red-head boy at church who caught her eye. She would follow him around (he's about 3 years older than her and his parents and us used to joke about the two of them running off together. I'd say Bevan was her first love. Alas, after going away on a 2 week holiday to granny's house she was devastated, upon return, to find out how fickle a boy can be because while she had been away he had gotten a new girlfriend. That was it, her heart was broken. This callous boy of 6 had broken my girls heart.

But time heals all things and she's happy to talk about it now, if not still a bit bitter and when you ask her what daddy's rule is she will say "I can have a boyfriend when I'm 40" (Que rolling of the eyes)

Yesterday on the drive home the following conversation took place:

Riley: (in a dreamy voice)"You know what mommy?
Me: "What Riles?"
Riley: (still in the same dreamy voice)"I'm in Love"
Me: "What?"
Riley: "I'm in love"
Me: "With who?"
Riley: "A boy" (duh! not said but clearly said in by her tone of voice)
Me: "A boy in your class? Rafael? (she's been to his birthday party recently) or Alejandro ?(also a boy's at who's house there was a play date not to long ago)?
Riley: "mmmmh I don't know, I just had it in my head but Rourke took the name out of my head"
Me: "Hey Tige put the name back in your sisters head"
Tiger: "ok here you go and points his hands at his sisters head gjoop! all done"
Riley: :"Juliano" (said in dreamy voice and with a dreamy look on her face)
Me: But Riley what about daddy's rule?"
Riley: "I know, I know, no dating till I'm 40 ..... but his lips taste like strawberries"
Me: "How do you know that?" (no shock here, I'm as cool as a cucumber)
Riley: "He kissed me, on the lips"

Good thing it was her grandfather driving and not her dad he might have driven into something. I wonder if I should tell him about this before he gets back from South Africa or over the phone while he's still there?

2 comments:

Char said...

That is too funny. I say tell him while he's overseas! haha.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that is excellent! I would probably have driven into something myeslf...hehe...